The Work of the Spirit

When the day of Pentecost came…all of them were filled with the Holy Spirit…when the people heard this, they were cut to the heart.  -Acts 2:1ff

God’s Holy Spirit, promised by Christ, came with a power that overwhelmed all the disciples of Christ and worked in them “as the Spirit enabled them.” What was the response of others?

verse 6: they came together in bewilderment

verse 7: they were utterly amazed

verse 12: they were amazed and perplexed and were asking questions

verse 13: Some made fun of them, even accusing them of being drunk

How do people respond to the Holy Spirit’s powerful presence in my life? I don’t often see bewilderment or amazement. I don’t often receive questions. I seldom am accused or ridiculed.

Is it possible that I stifle the Spirit’s work, for fear of how people will respond.

I notice that none of those mentioned responded with faith, but evidently some were prepared for a faith-filled response to the preaching that followed.

The Spirit’s work in me isn’t enough to lead others to faith, but through that work others may be prepared to receive Christ by faith! However, I must never shy away from the necessary step of proclaiming the law and the gospel, as Peter does here, for “How, then can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?” (Romans 10:14).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A God-Centered Church

LQA: August 25, 2021 – 1 Kings 7:51-8:21

To judge or Not to Judge...